Code of Conduct
The Quick Version
Our events and online spaces are dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender and gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, political views, or religion (or lack thereof). We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is never appropriate. Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled at the discretion of the organizers. No weapons of any kind or drugs are allowed at CHIFOO.
The Less Quick Version
CHIFOO is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. This code of conduct applies to all CHIFOO spaces both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the CHIFOO. Some CHIFOO spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
CHIFOO prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over-privileged people’s comfort and therefore we will not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’.
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you”.
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial.
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions.
If you have questions or need to report a violation:
Please reach out to the meeting organizer via email at: email@example.com with questions or to alert us to any violation of these guidelines. During an ongoing Zoom session, privately message the Program Chair or meeting host via chat. The offender will be removed from the meeting promptly and prevented from attending future meetings.
When applicable, contact information for specific speakers or sponsors will be provided to all meeting attendees. If the matter is especially urgent, please call the organizers provided.