- 2015: Gamefully Employed: Innovation at Play December 2, 2015- What does it mean to “play”? Families enjoying board games, children facing off in the street, or users staring glassy-eyed into virtual landscapes delivered via arcade, console, desktop or hand-held device? “Play” refers more to engagement than traditional notions of entertainment. We can no longer ignore the utility of games in areas as divergent as […]
- Play Matters
January 7, 2015 January 11, 2015- David will share how emerging developments in HCI are creating virtual civic spaces. Learn how David and Elbowfish succeed in applying game-inspired approaches to improving work, converting customers to fans, and harnessing the power of community.
- Playing Is The Thing
February 4, 2015 January 11, 2015- Kent has experimented with new approaches for engaging viewers and users and will share his observations of the subtle influx of game-inspired influences on a variety of online video experiences.
- Creating Enjoyable Frustration
March 11, 2015 January 11, 2015- The evolution of tabletop and alternate reality game design offer approaches to engagement through frustration, incremental victories and the theory of encouraging permission to fail. Trust us, it’ll all make sense.
- If It Isn’t Fun, No One Will Care
April 1, 2015 January 11, 2015- In November 2014, E-Line Media and Upper One Games released the widely anticipated video game Never Alone (Kisima In’itchu’a), an atmospheric puzzle platformer developed in constant collaboration with members of the Alaska Native community. Grant Roberts, Lead Game Designer at E-Line Media, will describe how the tale of an Iñupiaq girl and her arctic fox […]
- Gamers Succeed Where Scientists Don’t
May 6, 2015 January 11, 2015- Seth will describe the challenges of mapping real-world problems onto games and ways to address these challenges and other problem-solving game projects and future possibilities.
- Mental Health & Social Impact Are No Game
June 3, 2015 January 11, 2015- CHIFOO 2-for-1! Skyler will cover educational developments in the indie gaming, “You Have Gained A Level – Adding Empathy and Understanding to Online Education”. Yori has leveraged game theory and design not only in game development, but in his approach to developing communities.
- “Outside-In” Engagement
July 8, 2015 January 11, 2015- Joshua will help us draw on theories of method acting training to create a character in a digital narrative, discussing the relationships between embodied game interfaces, tangible storytelling, game-based-learning, virtual worlds, and nonverbal communication.
- Online Story-Driven Games
September 2, 2015 January 11, 2015- Through his geek-focused radio talk show, events and lecturing, Rym will delight us with his stories about how he’s observed the unique interaction of gaming and how HCI is maturing.
- Games That Change Us (For The Better!)
October 7, 2015 January 11, 2015- Emily regularly facilitates the creation and distribution of social impact games that serve as critical tools in humanitarian and educational efforts. Come hear behind-the-scenes techniques for creating games that really make a difference in the world.